If you have carpets in your home, it means you like them and if you like them, it means you definitely want to make them look clean, clear and dirt and debris free. You have to be confident about your home’s cleanliness and it can only be possible when you are not bound to one thing for cleaning purposes and you are aware of different procedures that can make your home look perfect.
The easiest tool for carpet cleaning is vacuum cleaners. Though vacuum cleaners are the go-to cleaning tools, they often make large noises and are costly enough that not everyone can buy them. They increase and make your energy bills double. It becomes costly to get the vacuum and go with vacuuming every day to meet the desired cleaning demands, and to top it off you need to clean the vacuum meticulously, as well. No one of us wants to give a bad impression to the guests regarding cleaning the home.
Whatever the cause is, you should not be worried about cleaning carpets without vacuuming. Hereafter reading and understanding this article thoroughly you would be able to clean your carpet easily and affordably at home. It doesn’t require much effort and many products, but you just need the following mentioned items to learn the thorough cleaning procedures and get the best results.
How To Clean A Carpet Without A Vacuum
Here are the most appropriate and adequate methods for the cleaning of your home carpets, stairs, and cars without vacuum cleaner to give you a nice, elegant, clean, and germ-free environment.
1. Dry Cleaning Methods
Dry cleaning methods include cleaning procedures that do not involve wet mopping or washing and don’t involve water at all.
Broom And Dustpan
Brooms are the most necessary component of the dry cleaning methods. They are renowned for taking off large pieces of debris and somewhat dirt and dust. Though it is the oldest fashion to clean your home but is the easiest of all.
- Start with shaking off the broom to remove the sticky dirt on it.
- Start sweeping the carpet area but make sure to sweep it in one direction only.
- Start from one end and stop at the other end.
- Keep the dustpan there and stand by it at the end of the carpet.
- Take all the dirt in a dustpan and throw it away.
A carpet sweeper (check reviews for best buys) is a manual machine that is operated by hands and consists of rollers and brushes. These carpet sweepers – see floor sweepers here – are very light in weight. They are very easy to use. No buttons, no settings at all. This manual cleaning machinery is used for quick, daily cleanings. This is not ideal for deep cleaning but it helps in general surface cleaning of the carpet.
To use a carpet sweeper, you need
- You should have a carpet sweeper with you at home.
- Glide the carpet sweeper across the carpet.
- The brush at the bottom rotates and captures the dirt and dust in it.
- Lastly, tip out the dirt collector, brush, or roller into the trash.
Packaging tape is best for homes where there are pets and pet hairs everywhere. This packaging tape can remove it. The hairs and minute dirt and particles can be removed by the light adhesiveness of the packaging tape. But this is not practical for large areas of the carpet.
- Open the tape and cut out a piece of a few inches.
- Press it onto the surface of the carpet so loose hair, fur, or dirt, all the small minute things get attached to the tape.
- Remove the tape and fur, hairs, and dirt are removed with it.
2. Wet Cleaning Methods
Wet cleaning techniques include the procedures that involve water or wet substances to get the deep cleaning of the carpet.
Wash The Carpet
Washing of the carpet involves the complete and proper washing of the carpet as written on the instructions of the carpet. Make sure to read and understand all the instructions labeled on the carpet on how to wash it because every carpet can not be treated in the same way.
- If your rug or carpet is smaller in size and can be washed in your home washing machine. Go for it.
- If your carpet is large then you have to visit some laundry or the place where carpets are washed, as they have large machines for large carpets.
Steam mopping is a process to sanitize your carpet. It is the most effective process and allows you to deep clean your carpet by killing pathogens, bacterias, and germs. Steam mopping doesn’t involve the use of any kind of chemicals, instead, it only uses water. The killing of germs and pathogens occurs because of the steaming properties.
- You should have a steam mop at your home for steam mopping.
- Fill the steam mop with water in it.
- Plug it in and on the machine. Wait for it to heat up and make and release steam in it.
- Glide from the steam mop and you will get the clean, clear, and germ-free carpet beneath.
Wet mopping includes the mop that is dipped in water or some solution made to clean the carpet. The solution can be made by adding vinegar to the water. Make sure to dilute the vinegar in warm water. Or you can also use the solution of any dishwasher or carpet cleaning powder or soap dissolved in water.
- Dip your mop in a bucket full of solutions made by you.
- Make sure to remove any large debris from the carpet at first.
- Dip the mop in a bucket. Squeeze it to remove any excess water.
- Rub the mop in the carpet starting from one side to another.
- Rubbing the mop will refresh the carpet and provide you with a clean carpet.
- Let it dry completely.
3. Deep Stain And Spill Removal Methods
For Food Stains
Food stains can easily be removed (see stain removers here). They are not hard to clean. You can make your carpet look neat with little effort. At first, keep in mind to remove any large particles of food that spill on the carpet. Make sure to pick a large mess.
- Mix dishwasher liquid in a bowl with water in it. Mix it well and apply it to the stained part of the rug. Rub it well using a scrubber or brush. Continuous rubbing will erase the stain.
- For homemade stain cleaner, you can use baking soda and vinegar in water. Apply it on the stain and rub. Clean the stained area with a dry cloth and let it dry naturally.
Blood And Urine Stains
Blood, urineand vomit stains look ugly on your carpet, they affect the overall look and highlight the stained area. They can not be easily cleaned and need some effort. They are the weirdest stains. They not only leave stains but make your carpet smelly too.
- For such stains, you can use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide with water. Mix one part of hydrogen peroxide with five parts of water and mix it thoroughly. Apply the mixture onto the carpet and rub the stain using a scrubber, brush, or sponge.
How To Clean Stairs Without Vacuum Cleaner
You can easily clean the stairs without using vacuum cleaners. This procedure will need a spray bottle or a bucket of water with a detergent or surface cleaner solution. You will need a soft-bristled brush that will not harm the surface.
- Take a bucket and mix a solution in it. You can add a tablespoon of detergent in a bucket of water or as per instructions. Spray a little over one stair, rub it thoroughly with a brush, rub again and use clean water to clean the detergent so it would not be slippery anymore. Repeat the procedure on every stair until all stairs are clean. Let them dry and relax yourself looking at your clean, shiny, and fresh stairs.
How To Choose A Suitable Cleaning Tool And Procedure?
Vacuum cleaners are not always available for everyone. They are not always in range. There should be other techniques to choose on how to clean out carpets without vacuum cleaners. The above mentioned are the other procedures on how you can make your carpet look clean, clear, and fresh. You can choose among any of the procedures which are best suited for you.
If you want general cleaning of dust and debris, you can go with the broom and dustpan method. If you don’t want to get physically tired while cleaning, you can choose a carpet sweeper, a manually operable machine. If you have pets and pet hairs, you can go with packaging tape techniques.
If you want to deep clean your carpet you can choose any method which is available to you. If washing machines and laundry are accessible to you, go with them. If you have a steam mop, it would be the most convenient method for you to steam mop your carpet and get the desired results. If you want deep cleaning you can go with wet mopping procedures using any cleaning solutions.
Every one of us wants our carpets neat and cleaned. And often perform cleaning every other day. The official Carpet and Rug Institute recommends the professional deep cleaning of your carpets every 12 to 18 months.
If you have no access to the professional deep cleaner of a carpet. It would not be a big deal for you to clean the carpet on your own. You have to use ammonia in it.
1- Take 2 tablespoons of ammonia and dissolve it in 1 liter of water.
2- Take a soft-bristled brush, you can take a hairbrush too.
3- Apply the mixture on the carpet and rub and scrub it with the brush.
4- Wipe away the mixture off the carpet and let it dry at room temperature.
A broom and a dustpan will easily remove dust and debris from the carpet. The broom should be of stiff bristles that can easily soften the dust from the carpet and throw it away. And for deep and detailed cleaning you can also go with applying any of the baking soda or vinegar or soap in warm water technique.
Your carpet remains neat and clean for a long time after deep cleaning procedures. It somehow depends on the foot traffic in that area where you are willing to manage the dirt and dust. If there are children and heavy foot traffic in one room and there are no children and very less foot traffic in another, obviously the one with higher foot traffic and children will get messy earlier.
You do not need to be worried about the cleaning of your rug or carpet. Do not ever overstress yourself. The above mentioned are the procedures that are a little time taking but the easiest and convenient techniques to make sure your carpet and rug areas are cleaned neatly as other parts of the home. Make sure to use the above tips to get your carpet clean (see best carpet cleaners here).
It is not necessary to deep clean the carpet daily. You can opt for general dry cleaning procedures on an everyday basis whereas you can use detailed cleaning methods every 2 to 3 months. It will not only make your carpet clean but also make sure to increase the life of your carpet. Before applying the techniques, learn each and everything in detail to get the maximum results.