If you have a furry friend that is both beneficial and fun to have, then you need to face some extra troubles as a bargain. Just like me, most pet owners have to face a lot of problems, and among them, cleaning is one and the primary issue. Any unpleasant smell and wet stains’ combination can eventually turn into a nightmare. The store-bought detergents also do not always seem to work and using that can make a distinctive smell of its own. On the other hand, some options are eco-friendly that you may opt for, and by these, I do not mean the costly green products that many of the stores are selling. So, how to clean dog pee from carpet? Well, before going into detail I’d like to mention some common aspects.
There are a lot of cleaning recipes that are homemade, and you can use these instead of chemical products. These recipes make use of a few simple ingredients, and you need to put minimum effort and produce the outcomes that you need. Choosing this cleaning method also features some really advantageous benefits.
Before jumping onto the methods on how to clean pet stains, urine and smell, firstly, it is important to know why your dog is peeing on the carpet as you know that prevention is the key, and this can save you and your family in the long run. Your dog or cat may be sick in the first place. It is also possible that it had any stress, or had an accident and needs any kind of medical help. Dogs have a sense of smell that is 40 times stronger as compared to humans, and they can use this remarkable trait in many ways.
Moreover, dogs are capable of smelling the odor, whether it is in another park or their own house. This smell can draw the dog back to the same spot, and that smell signals them that it is the place where they have to go to pee. This behavior is really common on older dogs and puppies as well. Also, if you ever notice that the dog is going to the same spot again and again, then it is the time that you might get a professional cleaning, even though you think that the area is clean.
DOG URINE REMOVAL FROM CARPET
There are so many ways by which you can clean the dog urine. Let’s jump into the details and check out the most effective one. First of all, it is an important point to clean the dog urine at exactly the same moment that you notice it. The stains that are fresh are pretty easy to treat, and no matter how inconvenient the process is, it is always better to be soon that late. As soon as you notice the presence of urine at a spot,
- Sop out as much of the dog urine as you are able to. A number of the dog owners use a combination of newspaper, magazine, paper towel, rag, or an old book. Firstly, layer the materials or paper towel on the urine. Always remember that the paper towel or the material you are using is large enough that they block the newspaper or the magazine from contacting directly with the carpet. Moreover, you are also advised to apply pressure so that you soak up as much of the liquid as possible.
- Now rinse the spot by using clear water and make use of more of the paper towel to soak up all the water you have used for rinsing.
- Once you’ve done that, take some vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the affected urine spot with it. Vinegar has a pH of about 2.4 and forms a strong acid. The strong acidity means that vinegar makes a natural cleaner having antibacterial properties. Along with that, it is also an antiseptic and antimicrobial agent that also kills mold. Vinegar is pet safe, cheap, eco-friendly, and can also loosen and lift dirt from your carpets.
- Now take a pinch of baking soda and sprinkle it over the mixture of vinegar. You would notice that as soon as you sprinkle the soda, it forms foam. Now cover it with a paper towel and leave it for 24 hours. Now rinse well and dry the spot thoroughly. Pro-tip, for faster drying, you can also make use of your hair dryer and dry the spot thoroughly.
There are a lot of enzymatic cleaners available in the market that possess so many benefits and work really well to remove the stains. You are also advised to read the warnings and procedures before using it on your carpet.
URINE STAIN REMOVAL FROM CARPET
You might face an ugly stain sitting in an area for a long time. If you are not considering the money, you can also opt for a pet stain remover that is commercial grade. These commercial grades are fabricated by the use of powerful enzymes that are manufactured to attack the stains. Moreover, you can also buy or rent a carpet cleaning machine and get rid of the stain by yourself. There are other do it options that you can use.
- Take half a teaspoon of dish soap and mix it with 1 cup of warm water. Mix the whole mixture until it changes into sudsy.
- Now take this soap water in a container and pour it onto the stain. You should soak the entire stain.
- Take a paper towel and blot the area with it. Remove as much of the liquid as possible. If necessary, make use of vacuuming as well.
- Repeat the steps from 1 to 3 until you are happy with the results.
PEROXIDE BAKING SODA AND VINEGAR
- Take one part of water and one part vinegar.
- Now blot the stain with the help of a microfiber pad or rag, which is soaked in the vinegar solution. Press this firmly so that you work deep into the stain.
- Now pour some part of the vinegar solution directly onto the stain.
- Once it’s done, use a toothbrush or a scrub brush to scrub the solution.
- Now blot the stain again with the help of a paper towel until it dries completely.
- Take the soda and apply it onto the stain, leave a sheer layer over the stain.
- Take half a cup of hydrogen peroxide and mix with one teaspoon of dish soap and mix thoroughly, making a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour some of the peroxide solutions onto the stain and scrub with the help of a brush.
- Make the stained area completely dry and try that little solution is left behind.
FINDING THE STAINS
Urine stains usually smell really bad, but these are not always obvious, and you may not be able to see them with the naked eye. This happens especially if your carpets have a darker color. However, if you use an Ultraviolet light, these dried urine crystals can be seen easily. Here are some of the ways by which you can find out these spots or stains.
- Firstly, vacuum your carpet using the best cordless vacuum cleaner to get rid of all the dirt, pet fur, and lint as well.
- Now turn all the lights off and close all the shades to get a room as dark as possible.
- Take on the safety glasses so as to protect your eyes from ultraviolet light.
- Now, do the scanning for your carpet with the help of black light 1 to 2 feet above the surface of the floor. In this light, the urine stains would appear dull or maybe green or a brownish-yellow in color.
- Make use of the smell test to make sure that the stain is purely dogged urine.
- Mark the stain with sticking a tape at the center of the spot to mark the area.
However, if you have a situation where none of these methods seem to work, it is then advised that you may call a professional cleaning company. Many of these organizations use a technique ‘The hot water extraction,’ which is another name for steam cleaning and is very good to break the dirt and stains down.
DOG URINE ODOR REMOVAL
If you have a condition that your whole house smells like dog urine, you are then supposed to get the help of the professional cleaning services. The methods mentioned above are no doubt effective, and they work, but it remains true for small areas only. When your whole house is affected, then you need a professional.
Now, if you are not getting a professional cleaner, here are some of the DIY methods that can get the urine smell completely out of the carpet.
- Take an ample amount of cornstarch and directly apply it to the stain. Cover the whole spot.
- Allow the cornstarch to sit there for about 30 minutes.
- Use plain water to rinse the spot.
- Now dry the stained area with the help of a paper towel or a cloth. Apply pressure to absorb all the water.
- Combine baking soda with water in a small bowl and make it into a paste.
- Apply this paste onto the area that has the stain.
- Take distilled vinegar and pour on to the stained area, covering the stain.
- Blot all the liquid by firmly pressing.
- Repeat the steps from 1 to 4.
- You are also advised to use gloves to avoid contact of urine with your hands.
RENTAL CARPET CLEANER
The rental usually costs around 30 dollars per day, and you can easily rent the cleaning machines from many large retailers. However, if you are looking to tackle the old pet urine, the best choice is to contact professional service.
Moreover, if you are renting a cleaner, you would also need to buy a cleaning solution separately for treating the pet smell and stains, which would also cost you about 20 dollars. Also, make sure to search for a cleaning solution that you may buy to clean the dog’s urine smell.
Often, people hire or rent the cleaning machine for just a day and make the cleanup process as a weekend chore. These machines are portable, and these are not small, and you would need to invest many hours for cleaning a larger spot area. You should also add in this time the drying time. Moreover, the efficiency and effectiveness of these methods can vary. To know how to get the dog urine odor out of the carpet can turn into a frustrating and difficult process. Moreover, you should correct the behavior of your dog.
CORRECTING THE DOGS BEHAVIOR
The best way is to train your dog so that it does not pee on your carpet and urinate outdoors. Moreover, there are other home remedies and commercial repellents that make your dogs deter from peeing indoors. Also, always remember to test the solution on a small area, in a nook or not so visible corner before applying.
These products are available in a spray form, and they contain natural ingredients or chemicals that are such that they discourage the pets from peeing in that spot. Additionally, dogs have really sensitive noses, and some smells make the dogs avoid that area.
Take ten parts of water and mix it with one part of cayenne pepper and pour it in a spray bottle. Spray it on the desired area and also remember to not go overboard with the spray. As this may hurt the nostrils of your dog.
Take a few drops of sour apple essential oil, cinnamon, and eucalyptus with water and apply this mixture near the stained area.
VINEGAR AND LIME JUICE
Take some cotton balls and soak them in vinegar. Place these balls near the area where you don’t want your dog to pee. Moreover, if you feel that the odor is strong for you as well, mix some lime juice or lemon and spray on it.
SOME OTHER REMEDIES
Some other remedies include alcohol, ammonia scent, mustard oil, chili powder, and citrus scents.
Why the smell of some dogs urine is similar to ammonia smell?
- Urine itself is a mixture of bacteria, ammonia, uric acid, and hormones. As time passes, The urine breaks down in the area or spot of carpet. There the concentration of ammonia increases, and the chemical substances containing sulfur, also known as mercaptans or thiols, are generated. These mercaptans are pungent and noticeable even if they are in low concentration in the air.
Is dog urine harmful for humans?
- Just like any other waste, dog urine has bacteria, and it can be a cause of illness. Some of the domestic dogs have leptospirosis, which is a bacterial infection. These bacteria are found all over the world and occur in humid and warm climates. If your dog is infected, these may pass the infection to human beings, and this can also cause kidney or liver disease.
Other than bacterial infection, these odors might be really problematic for everyone in the home. The ones having a healthy immune system may have allergies, watery eyes, and inflammation of the lungs as well. Some vulnerable groups may have more severe side effects. The veterinarians suggest that dog owners should clean and remove all of the urine as soon as you can and also make sure to wear gloves.
Can mold be caused by the dog’s urine?
- One or two-three pee accidents are not much of a concern; a pattern of repeated behavior over months or weeks can lead to the soaking of the urine into the carpet, causing padding. This accumulation of urine attracts more moisture and humidity, and over time, mold can grow under the carpet.
Molds are of many different varieties, but the most common types related to pet urine are aspergillus and penicillium that may cause lung and respiratory problems.
What happens if pet urine gets soaked into the hardwood floor?
- If the pet urine has been soaked in the carpet, through the padding, and inside the hardwood floor, you are much likely to get in trouble. Over a period of time, this floor underneath can become more and more saturated with the pet pee, and this begins to rot the floor. If you are facing this issue, you might have to remove the carpet and then replace the planks of the hardwood below. Also, you can use the top-rated hardwood floor cleaners and to learn more you can check our guide on how to clean hardwood floors.
?️ Back To Top